Penguin is now more granular. Penguin now devalues spam by adjusting ranking based on spam signals, rather than affecting ranking of the whole site.
Instead of penalizing spam (by Google’s definition), Google Penguin now devalues spam.
What Google did not (but should) say:
- Negative SEO is no longer (or at least not as big as before) a major threat.
- We now have enough data to identify X% of link spam (note: X = figure that Google’s happy with).
- Thanks for using our disavow tool for Google’s benefit.
- Webmaster can build as many links as they want now, we will just pick up links that we think are valuable and ignore the rest.
- To sites affected by Negative SEO in the past, such as Jerry’s very awesome Web Hosting Secret Revealed, we are sorry. It screws you guys up… but please trust us when we told you Negative SEO is never possible with Google. Ever.
Now if you offer link building services for living…
Well, time to go all-out-attack and fire off your sales emails.
Think about it. Your clients will have nothing to lose but everything gain under Penguin 4.0.
Worst case scenario – they lose some money (to you) and gain nothing in search ranking (which, you can just offset it by offering another round of link building or a full refund). But the upside shooting #1 on Google and endless flow of search traffic.
Should you jump?
But any new SEO tactic is safe with Goolge… until it reaches the mass or become extremely easy to scale.
How long would this take before every bloggers and SEO-wanna-be figure this out and start pumping links to their sites like no tomorrow?
The opportunity is there, choice is yours.
SEO is all about balancing between risks and profits. And you are the one who know your risk appetite best.